Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Week 8, #18 Online Productivity Tools

I am using Zoho Writer to write this post to my blog. I will also try Google Docs to see which one I like better. This is certainly easy to use and the toolbars appear to have all of the formatting I would want in a word processing document.

This resource is great for students working on a project at home. Students can't access their school files from home so this would eliminate the students with corrupt disks or files that can't be converted. We can't convert Word files that were created in Word 2007 and I'm always asked to help a desperate student just before a project is due!

Well, I typed the above in Zoho Writer but when I tried to "post to blog" I logged in and then got an error on the page. It happened twice. I just copied and pasted instead.

1 comment:

Chris Morin said...

Hi Liza:
When you wrote "We can't convert Word files that were created in Word 2007 and I'm always asked to help a desperate student just before a project is due!" I really connected to your situation! I work in an urban high school that uses Macs exclusively. Most of our students have PCs at home or use PCs at the public library. Many kids do not save their documents correctly. And then they arrive in the school library hoping to open up an attachment from their e-mail and it will not work. Talk about desperate! I have been promised a lot of wonderful things if I can just open up that document! Using Zoho Writer could solve this problem and make their work accessible anywhere as long as they can get online. I never thought I could get excited by something with a name like Zoho Writer (just exactly where do they come up with these names??). But I am very excited about showing this to my students. It just might be the answer to my students' prayers (and mine as well).

Chris Morin