Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Week 6, #15 Web 2.0, Libraries 2.0 and Future

Michael Stephens article "Into a new world of librarianship" really resonated with me. I believe that the libraries of the future must be customer oriented. We need to be able to give the customer what they want. That means staying current with technology (the technology that we've tested ... not just the new stuff), making the library a welcoming place and a social place and much more. Librarians must continously be learning and teaching what we've learned.

On another note, I don't want to believe that eventually we won't have print! I can't imagine not being able to feel the pages and look at the pictures in my hands. But, I know it makes sense to have everything digital and ready for use when needed. Maybe in 5 years most students will have some type of a reader. Certainly for textbooks that makes sense ... they'll always be up-to-date and not left at school.

No comments: