Friday, February 22, 2008

Week 5, #11 Explore Web 2.0 Awards List

I really needed the extra time February vacation allowed for this assignment.

The categories that I explored from the Web 2.0 Awards list were: Collaborative Writing and Word Processing, Books, and Bookmarking. Thank goodness for the "short version" of the awards. I would have been completely overwhelmed with more than the Top 3.

I liked Google Docs and thought it would be useful for collaboration in the classroom and to help students transfer work from home to school. It was easy to sign up, upload, edit and share documents. I compared it to Thinkfree.com and preferred the look, toolbars, and ease of use of Google Docs.

Currently, I use a thumb drive or email docs from home to school but I could use Google Docs instead as long as it's a word processing, spreadsheet or PowerPoint. As with everything I've experienced as part of this class, finding time to explore, learn, and ultimately remember to use each new tool is the hard part.

I checked out Library Thing in the "books" category really just to compare it to Good Reads. It's similar and has some unique features that I don't think Good Reads provides. Library Thing will analyze your catalog and make suggestions for new books and provides a humorous "unsuggested" analysis. But, I'll stick with Good Reads since I've already started to use it a bit.

The site ma.gnolia.com was beautiful to look at and I think it could help with organization. Sites that I've found and saved as favorites at school sometimes slip my mind when at home. Instead of using my browser's favorites I can keep ma.gnolia open and add bookmarks there. I could see myself using it with colleagues to share sites that may be useful for their subject.

Is anyone else wishing that there was ONE PLACE to have a blog, get e-mail, publish photos, bookmark, read RSS feeds, ect.?

No comments: